Join us on discord!
We now have our own Discord server! Join us here : https://discord.gg/BTvjj7s!

Climbing slopes and stuff...

Talk about what you want here, being or not linked to the servers.
Peterking72
Neophyte

Climbing slopes and stuff...

Post by Peterking72 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:04 pm

Hi, it's me again with a suggestion. What if climbing slopes wasn't a "hard " thing anymore. Currently climbing slopes on the apedobear server is a painstakingly slow process in most cases. However it shouldn't be. I've been to other servers where climbing up on slopes and roofs with even a 75° angle was a piece of cake. It was also something that could be done in seconds.
Is there a way that this faster climbing thing could be implemented on this server too? I don't know if it's vertical or horizontal acceleration which determines how fast you can climb things, but this change would definitely open up some new possibilities in gameplay. Note that this change does not mean that you could jump higher, and it would affect everyone equally, so it would be a fair play.
It would only mean that we could climb places faster and more easily.
I will try to experiment with this in single player, whether this acceleration thing is what makes this posible. However I suspect that this may be a SWEPS modification, which needs coding to implement.

Anyway if Arnold or any of you guys could code it then it would worth a try if it gets the greenlight.

Peterking72
Neophyte

Re: Climbing slopes and stuff...

Post by Peterking72 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:19 pm

Well, I tested the acceleration as I said I would. It has both bad and good results. The good is that it helps climb places more fast, but not the way I imagined it would. The bad thing is that it is way too powerful. It trivializes pretty much everything else, so it's not a good fit for the server.

The parameters I used was: sv_accelerate 10
sv_airaccelerate 20

They change the movement speed and the air movement speed respectfully. The current movement speed on the server is around 6, I think. At least that is what I estimated from this single player test. There is no duble jump (crouch jump) in single player, so I changed the gravity instead to 530-550 (sv_gravity 530). I don't know what's the basic settings for air acceleration, if there is any at all on the server. On low settings it makes you jump sligthly further (horizontally). On high settings it makes you literally float in the air. I went crazy and set it on the highest level it allowed and I basically glided acros the whole level when I jumped from the house.

So if you want to do this at all I think we need to find a better way. I asked a friend of mine, who does programming and stuff if he could help, but I haven't heard back from him yet. In fact he wasn't online in a while, so I don't know when I would get an answer.
For the moment it seems like a dead end, unless you guys have any other ideas or mad programming skills.